PROM 2021!!! A Night Under the Stars

ECHO Senior Staff

The Class of 2021 partied at a prom like no other last Wednesday night at the Salt Shack in Babylon. From stylish boardwalk entrances, to oceanfront views complete with blue skies and palm trees, students danced the night away, struck poses in the photo booth, and dined on a variety of catered buffet options before ultimately crowning their prom king and queen, Myles Goddard and Dana Rickenbacker.

Nothing in recent history has messed with high school expectations, plans, traditions, and ceremonies more than the global pandemic of the past year and a half. With constantly changing guidelines from the state, schools have been left scrambling to create events that will follow health regulations while offering students the best possible experiences.

Patchogue-Medford High School planned their outdoor prom for a Monday night, shutting down a portion of Main Street for their festivities. William Floyd High School is planning a prom under the stars in their center courtyard where students will be masked or socially distant. Newfield High School in Selden is planning a prom at a local catering hall, and they will be split into three separate rooms. Most proms seem to be allowing only seniors to attend, with no outside guests. One of the benefits of Amityville’s prom venue was the ability to keep everyone together in one place, while offering views seen more often at weddings than at high school proms.

Class advisor, Mrs. Shulken had this to say about the night: “I was so happy that the seniors were able to celebrate together before the end of the school year! It was a fun night that I hope they will cherish for many years to come. It has been a pleasure being their advisor. The prom was a tribute to how the class of 2021 can come together and have a good time, under any circumstances!”

Senior, Alex Diaz said the creativity of everyone’s outfits really allowed for individual personalities to shine through. Mr. Rochester, one of the evening’s chaperones said he loved seeing the camaraderie among everyone in attendance. And Mrs. Wilsher, also chaperoning, said she was thrilled to see students get the opportunity to finally celebrate together after a difficult year.

It truly was one of the best proms Amityville Memorial High School has ever seen, which is an absolute credit to Mrs. Schulken and her team.