2021 (A Year in Review)

2021 (A Year in Review)

Terry Holman, Student Life Editor

The year 2021 has come to an end. I believe that we could debate over which was worse, 2021 or 2020, though they both win in their own ways. 2020 was the main start of the pandemic which seemed to be the trigger for the world practically falling apart. I couldn’t even list everything that has happened these past two years. So let’s do a brief recap.

In 2020, the Amazon was on fire, Australia burned down, tensions between America and Iran almost started World War III, and the entire world was shoved into quarantine for about two years. That was just the beginning of that year but it’s too painful to recap that year, so let’s jump to the year 2021.

Once the ball dropped on January 1st, 2021, we all hoped that the world would be saved and go back to normal. Sadly, we were all very wrong.

I think the first thing that went wrong was the attack on the United States Capital. Donald Trump is now famous for being the only president in history to be impeached twice. A record. After the elections, half of America was very happy and the other half was very sad with a small percentage of people who just do not care and want everything to stop. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris were elected into office.

Let’s go to March, a time where everyone focused on something a little less heavy. the English Royal Family. There was a lot of drama going on; Prince Harry ends up leaving the royal family and later moves to Los Angeles with Megan Markle.

Tragically, George Floyd was murdered in April. This influenced hundreds of protests around the world, starting new movements to fight for justice.

The summer Olympics started! However, there were mental health concerns surrounding the athletes. In August, Biden removed the troops from Afghanistan. This threw Afghanistan into a hellfire. Texas then decided to enact bounties against women seeking abortions.

In October, General Colin Powell died from Covid and cancer combined. After hours of jury deliberation, Kyle Rittenhouse was found not guilty and set free.

Josephine Baker was the first Black woman to be honored at the Paris Pantheon! Kim Potter was also convicted. And to end the year, Bishop Desmond Tutu, Jean-Pual Diderlaurent, Bob Dole, Oleg Emirove, Aurelio Calfetti, and Betty White died. In America, over 400,000 people died from Covid in 2021.

I couldn’t tell you which year was worse. Both of them were crazy. I guess all we can do is hope that 2022 is a lot better.