AMHS Band Marches in Historic Parade

Terry Holman, Student Life Editor

One Band! One sound!

Band!

Forward!

MARCH!

Enduring the cold mist, our Amityville Marching band marches down Fifth Avenue, filled with pride while representing their school during the St. Patrick’s Day Parade. Playing “Wearing of the Green,” composed by our own Miss Maccarone and Dr. Douglas Richard, they brought spirit to everyone watching in person and from online. The school loved it and the band received a lot of support both physically and on social media. Some families joined them in New York City, cheering them on from the sidelines. 

As one of the flag holders, I had an amazing experience helping to lead the band. It was definitely something I will never forget. To be recognized as seniors for their last march, they wore white plumes instead of red on the top of their hats. Yaneli Amaya, Jeffery Sorto Zalvala, Rene Santos, Mariana Castro-Carbajal, Mikhial Ankudovych, Imani Myles, Kevin Hernadez, Brandon Dennis, Zackary Rodriguez, Sy’riah Mathis Foskey, Jawline Morris, and Daniel Mariduena represented our senior class. Our head drum major being Yaneli Amaya, along with the assistants, Jeffery Sorto Zavala, Rene Santos, and Donovan Graham McRae were dressed in all black. 

Yaneli, playing the flute, was very excited for having marched in the parade. She shared, “the cheers of the crowd were very motivating and the parade overall was an experience I would never forget. I am glad that I was given this opportunity during my senior year with a band I was proud of.” 

Principal, Mr. Plaia, said he was excited for the band to be able to be part of this New York tradition. He exclaimed, “I was excited for our students to experience such a historic event.  The whole world tunes in to that parade, and our students were part of it. They’ll never forget that.” The band had a lot of support, which made marching even better. 

Miss Maccarone, Miss Ferrante, Miss Ashe, and Mr. Abate marched with the band as chaperones. Eric Lee and the AFD lent the band holders for the flags. I believe I speak for all of the flag holders when I say “thank you” for supplying us with those. I would’ve been a longer march without them. Miss Ferrante taking position as the photographer, took most of the pictures  and videos that are posted. She was very excited to wear her new “supervisor jacket,” as I would be too.

Alright, enough about orchestra, let’s let the band shine for a little bit, this is their article. Miss Maccarone and the band trained to improve their marching every class for about two weeks before the parade. She exclaims “The band was proud and honored to be part of this 260 year old tradition in NYC. They performed with precision and professionalism. I am very proud of their hard work. Also, the orchestra students who joined us showed commitment and unity among the department and we thank them for their involvement. We would like to thank Mr. Eric Lee and the fire department who supported us by lending harnesses for our flag holders. As always, we want to thank our administration and the board of education for their continued support and encouragement. It was a proud day for our band and the Amityville music department.” The band did an amazing job and only made her more proud. 

I hope the band agrees with me when I say this is an experience I would love to live again, bringing pride and joy to the people around me. I hope they loved marching as much as I did!