Music in our Schools Month

Music in our Schools Month

Terry Holman, Student Life Editor

What is just as important as the math and science courses in our schools? Music. To show this, March is Music in our Schools Month, known as MIOSM. The Tri-M Honor Society knew it was their time to act. In order to honor the month, we held a spirit week. Every day we would partner with other clubs to bring musical spirit to the school building. All of the events were held during lunch periods in the cafeteria lobby. 

Monday we all wore our favorite artist or band. Partnering with the World Language Honor Society, we gained the attention of students and staff to come over and right their favorite cultural song! Parts of the band, orchestra, and chorus all played in the halls during passing periods this day as well!

Tuesday incorporated the songs from Monday. Wearing clothing to show off your culture, we played the songs that were given to us the day before! Many students gathered around to dance. We partnered with the National Art Society. 

Wednesday was a very important day. Decades day. As we were all dressed in our favorite decade we start the process of supporting the band on their journey for the next day. 

Thursday was a day to celebrate the marching band as they made their way towards New York City to march in the Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade. During the lunch periods, students came over to sign a card for the band to show their support. Partnering with the drama club, their production of The Whiz was also advertised. 

Friday was an exciting day. With help from the Warrior Nation, we show Amityville spirit by all wearing Amityville apparel. During lunch, there was a trivia scavenger hunt, and a random winner was selected to win a gift card! The questions were all music-related. 

This was an amazing week that showed just how much music matters in the school. The Tri-M showed lots of support from the student body and staff. We can’t wait to do even more next year!