Don’t Be a Bully

Dont Be a Bully

Echo Staff

October is National Bullying Prevention Month. It was started in 2006 after numerous student-centered advocacy groups decided to raise awareness of the serious effects bullying can have on children. The point of the prevention month is to address bullying through education and support.

According to Youth.gov, bullying is “unwanted, aggressive behavior among school-aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time.  Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose.  Bullying can also take place through technology, known as cyberbullying.  Examples of cyberbullying include mean text messages or emails, rumors sent by email or posted on social networking sites, and embarrassing pictures, videos, websites, or fake profiles.”

October 10, known as Unity Day, asks people all over the country to wear orange in support of students who have been bullied. AMHS plans on holding Unity Day activities after school in the gym to help further the community spirit of the school.

The website stopbullying.gov has some great resources for students to check out if students are being bullied, or see bullying and want to know ways to keep others safe from bullying.