Winter Wonderland Contest 2019

Dion Bullock, Staff Reporter

It’s that time of year! Christmas is coming early to Amityville once again, and what better way to spend the holiday than with art? The village windows are once again providing a canvas for the Amityville School District Winter Wonderland Art Contest. The contest officially began in October with students submitting entries for consideration.

EWMMS art teachers, Ms. Dibble and Ms. Scoca, along with AMHS art teachers, Ms. Grasso and Ms. Rickard, completed the outlines and priming for the windows on a snowy December 3rd. Students then took part in the outdoor window painting around Amityville Village the next day. 

Many different seniors took part in this event, including Dion Bullock, Brianna Desire, and Isabella Mohan. Many other students from grades 7-12 helped decorate the Amityville windows with winter spirit. Shops like The Cheesecake Spot and Family Dollar were chosen to be painted with creative winter designs. The owners of The Cheesecake Spot, in particular, were very happy to watch students decorate their shop windows– so happy that they even offered free hot chocolate to the hard-working artists.

Adding to the excitement of the day was the appearance of a News12 news team who interviewed students and teachers about the project. The story aired later that day and it was great to see the artwork of our students given the attention and respect it deserves.