The Future of the Defending State Champs

Justin Bethea, Contributing Reporter

Last year the Amityville boys varsity basketball team won the state championship game. From the beginning of the year they told everyone that they were on “the road to states”and soon the Warriors were on the literal road to the state championship. During the off season the team shifts around to different leagues so they can play together, practice, and continue to compete with other teams to build their chemistry. The boys varsity team won their spring league championship and without a full team went to the championship game for the summer league. For this upcoming winter league the team is different than last year. Amityville lost some seniors who contributed big time to their state win. This year’s varsity team is saying that they too are on “the road to states;” they’re ready to defend their title and become two-time state champions.

When asked if the boys varsity team is going to states, Coach Gordon Thomas says, “I feel we have the potential to do it…. I feel we can go undefeated in the league.” Thomas continues to say, “On paper we look good but on the court we have to prove it.” Coach Thomas talks about the non league games he has scheduled. The varsity team only gets four non league games and all four are teams that are going to challenge the new Amityville team.

Last year the team went undefeated in the league with a record of 16-0 and an overall record of 19-1, losing to Archbishop Molloy High School in a non league game. Amityville has some huge Kyries to fill. Come out to the Amityville basketball games to see how this season unfolds for them. Will Amityville be the two time state champs? Let’s find out.